Examples of Professional Goals to Set For Yourself
If you strive to improve your professional life and become a more skilled employee, goal-setting is a must. Implementing SMART and attainable goals will give you the motivation and drive to develop your skills, become a more desirable employee, and even land the job of your dreams. Goal-oriented employees are highly sought after. These professionals are incredibly self-motivated, engaged and have higher productivity levels.
In this article, we’ll touch upon the two primary types of career goals: short-term and long term and go through some examples you can implement in your career.
Short-term goals are an excellent method for accomplishing your long-term goals. Using short-term goals breaks down your over-arching goal into more manageable steps. Achieving your short-term goals will give you the motivation and momentum to keep up with your long-term goals. You can use these kinds of goals to track your progress and assess areas of improvement. While time frames can vary, short-term goals can ideally be accomplished in less than a year.
15 examples of short-term goals
- Find a mentor
- Get a certificate or license
- Improve your work-life balance
- Familiarize yourself with a new piece of technology
- Improve your written communication skills
- Re-organize your workstation
- Attend a conference or networking event
- Tackle a personal project
- Read more books or information about your industry or field
- Re-vamp your resume
- Publish articles in your field
- Apply for an internship
- Achieve a key performance indicator (KPI)
- Revamp your online image
- Create a blog
Unlike short-term goals, long-term career goals are ones you achieve over a long period. Even taking years, if you have a long-term goal, it’s helpful to create a career path so you can have a plan of attack.
15 examples of long-term career goals
- Create a personal brand for yourself
- Earn a degree in your desired field
- Land a promotion and move up in your company
- Gain leadership experience
- Speak at a conference
- Establish yourself as an industry expert
- Make a career switch
- Achieve financial stability
- Learn a new language
- Earn a pay raise
- Master a new coding language
- Start your own business or side hustle
- Gain global experience
- Become a mentor
- Grow a strong network
Live Assets is a boutique IT Staffing/Recruiting firm specializing exclusively in building IT teams of excellence for the Information Technology sector.
We are a small, but productive team that works closely together and has had a 96% success rate for the past number of years!
We have a diverse number of clients and industries and focus on both full-time and contract I.T. opportunities.